Re: [IP] Sleepovers

HI.  This is Sylvia, mom to Joshua.  He is now 11+.  He has gone on a few
sleepovers.  I usually will take the time to explain to the hosting parent
some of Josh's needs and that I generally will like to get a phone call from
him at bedtime (this is usually around 10-11PM at a sleepover)  At that time
Josh will check his BGs and based on what his number is we will determine
whether he needs a snack or a bolus or what.  Then I require that Josh calls
me in the morning when he gets up and lets me know what his BG is at that
time.  Just so I can know.

The great thing about the pump is that if you are really nervous about it you
can do a basal decrease for the night to hopefully ensure higher BGs during
the sleepover.  Then in the AM a high BG bolus can be given and all is well.

Oh, and for you mom......it will mean very LITTLE sleep...at least for THIS
mom it does.  Unless I'm fortunate enough to have Josh sleeping over at
another DMer's house.  Then I sleep like a baby..........THANKS

It is important to allow your child to participate in these types of events,
so long as s/he is old enough.  And if the hosting parents are comfortable
with the situation and know you are only a phone call away, then there
shouldn't be too much trouble!

Good Luck!!

mom to Joshua