Re: [IP] Re: Diagnosis of a young child

In a message dated 5/15/2003 3:27:17 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> It didn't help
> that my family nor my husband's had no history of Type 1 or Type 2
> diabetes.

I don't understand this thinking that acceptance is different if you have a
history of Type 1 or Type 2 (which is irrelevant).  I think it is actually
harder if you do have a history of Type 1 and it unearths a lot of guilt.
Nicole's paternal grandfather died from complications of Type 1 at age 28, my
husband was 2, and it certainly didn't help that we had a history.  My
husband's mother blames herself for having kids and "passing this on".  The
only "helpfullness" of having a history is that you know the first time your
2 year old pees through a diaper in the middle of the afternoon that they
have diabetes, and you know it without a doubt.

mom to Nicole (4) dxd 10/2001 pumping 4/2003
Kelly (8), Blake (5) and Luke (2)