Re: [IP] Re: Diagnosis of a young child (kinda long)

> It is a big deal for the newly-diagnosed, to the parents, and others
> concerned with the child. His life is forever changed and needs constant
> adjusting for the next almost century or until a cure, then who knows the
> adjustments that will require.

I was diagnosed when I was thirteen years old.  I vividly remember finding
out.  My father was out of town on business.  I was in the room when my
mother got the call.  I remember listening to her cry and understanding
clearly that it meant that I *did* have diabetes.  I went sort of numb.

She sent me out of the room, I learned later to ask questions like, "Is it
fatal?"  Somehow, as I sat in my room, waiting for her phone call to end, I
didn't panic.  (That question never even crossed my mind.)  The weekend in
between the blood test and the results was much harder on me than finding
out the news that I was diabetic.  Somehow, I knew we would take care of
this and everything would be okay.

But was it a big deal?  I think my parents had a worse time with it than I
did.  I was a teenager, and I took on much of my care from the start, but
they educated themselves and supported me in it.

There ISN'T an age that it's not a big deal.  It is life changing.  I have
really felt sorry for the parents of children too young to verbally express
that they are feeling low or high, thinking that that would present another
significant set of problems, but parents of children at any age with
diabetes, at least the responsible ones, are going to see this as a big
deal, even if the child can verbalize how they feel.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990