[IP] Re: Diagnosis of a young child

From: Gina Gracey <email @ redacted>
snipped>>The child is not someone I know, it is a friend of my sister-in-law's
child and my sister-in-law is the who cannot believe that the child
should be on insulin.  She is of the ignorant sort and not my
favorite person in the whole world, but I try my best to explain
things to her.<<

Hi Gina,

I remember when Noah was diagnosed at age 9 and the feelings of
disbelief, fear, agony, etc.  It was a lot to absorb.  It didn't help
that my family nor my husband's had no history of Type 1 or Type 2
diabetes.  I knew very little about Type 2 and was completely
ignorant about Type 1.  I remember saying to the peds doc who
diagnosed him and then sent us straight to the hospital "But how can
he have a grown-up disease?"  My husband and I had discussions every
day with several docs while Noah was in the hospital on "Type 1
Diabetes Management 101."  The goal was to get us comfortable enough
to take him home to begin the process of what would become our new
way of life.  It didn't take long for Noah, his dad and I to "get"
what this disease was and that insulin was the one and only
treatment.  Unfortunately, other members of my family didn't
understand.  Granted, they weren't there for every discussion with
the docs, but initially my mom and sister thought there had to be
another wholistic approach rather than insulin injections.  They
researched and sited treatments of herbs, some kind of tea (can't
remember now).  They kept getting confused because information geared
for the public doesn't usually distinguish between Type 1 and 2.
They were finding treatment plans, medical and wholistic, that was
for Type 2's but it just stated diabetes.  They naturally assumed it
would work for both types.  My mother and sister are very intelligent
people, yet it took them a while to understand there is a difference
between the two types.  Their mission was one of love; they couldn't
bear to think of Noah needing daily injections at 9 years of age for
the rest of his life.  It is a lot to have sink in and takes time to
come to terms with.  I think we, in the diabetic community, sometimes
forget that maybe we would/could have been in the same situation had
this disease not come into our lives so personally.  I know I was.
It is frustrating...believe me...when well-meaning friends and family
members say something that is obvious they don't "get it."  Even
after it is explained they seem to forget (or not understand) and
revert back to their thinking that Type 1 and 2 are the same.  What
can we do?  I don't know except kindly keep explaining and hope one
day there is more, correct information put out to the masses.  But
since Type 1's are such a minority, and there is no way to prevent it
to date, I'm not holding my breath.  It makes sense why there is much
more emphasis put on Type 2.  Frustrating, yes, but understandable.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99