[IP] Re: that mother's day myth story

>Actually,  I suspect the reporter may have accurately written what the
>family told him.  Given that the family of four was trying to make ends
>meet on the father's salary from McDonald's (which got even worse when
>he lost his job), I'm willing to bet that mom was not only cutting her
>insulin but also was not testing her blood sugar, ever.  I'll bet she
>really was in ketoacidosis, (note that she had cramps, which come with
>dehydration) and she may not have suspected that this was the issue -
>since she probably hadn't checked her sugar in forever.  Thus, she
>called the children to help, and they responded competently in the only
>way they had been trained - give sugar and call 911.    Quite frankly,
>the fluid in the orange juice may have helped, and while the sugar in
>the juice wouldn't help, I don't think it would actually hurt either.

That's what I thought too, except for the statement that since she
"couldn't afford" to go to the hospital, the paramedics just stayed with
her until she was stabilized and then left.  I would think that if she'd
been in DKA, a hospital trip would not have been optional!  Someone in DKA
can't be "stabilized" in an hour or so the way someone with a hypo
can.  Then again, I suppose if she'd absolutely refused to go to the
hospital, they couldn't have forced her too...but from the article, it
sounds like her condition did actually begin to improve once she got the sugar.

Overall, a very poorly-written and poorly-researched article.  Obviously it
was supposed to be a heartwarming "my children saved my life" story, but
that doesn't mean they don't have to get their medical facts straight!  If
the information they got from the family was less than straightforward
(which I suspect may have been the case), they could have put in
explanations such as (for example) "...mistakenly thinking her blood sugar
was low, the mother asked her children to bring her sugar".

Regardless of what actually happened, the children absolutely did the right
thing in bringing her sugar and calling 911. They should certainly not be
expected to try and discern whether their mother has a high or low blood
sugar before administering first aid.   If the general public reads the
article and comes away with the understanding that someone having a
diabetic emergency always needs sugar as first aid (NOT insulin!), I
suppose the article will have done a service.  The really dangerous bits of
misinformation that crop up in the media are the ones that suggest that
someone with diabetes who's unconscious needs an immediate insulin shot!