re: [IP] Hip site and not using skin prep - woops

Subject: [IP] Hip site and not using skin prep - woops

<<<<<<<Hi - just some newbie reports....today i decided to
try my hip for a site (only site three, so a little
nervous!) well, got it all inserted and realized I had forgotten to use
the IV Prep.  Doh!  Even though I had just showered, I took it out and
re inserted in my abdomen - I had some blood on my hip and it was
already in the cannula when I pulled it out. My questions:  has anyone
forgotten to use skin prep before insertion and what did you do?  And, I
have plenty of subcutaneous fat, but still managed to bleed on the
hip...maybe I should try sils instead of quick sets or maybe it was just
a coincedence....sort of made me want to avoid the hip though...

Thanks in advance for any comments...I always
appreciate everyone's responses - this list is so

Anna  (in Seattle)
pumping since 05/08/03, paradigm)>>>>>>>>.

Hi Anna,
I've never tried anywhere but in upper and lower abdomen, I think lower
abdomen is less painful, personally.  I'm writing because I think if I
forgot to use the IV Prep I would go ahead and leave the site in (if it
was working, since yours had blood in it, it might not have worked,
don't know) and keep an eye on it to see if it sticks as long as usual.
There are people on the list who never use any kind of prep and their
sites do fine.  I've been too chicken so far to try other sites and I do
like a site that I can reach easily too so wouldn't want one on my back
side personally.
Keep up the good work, wow, trying new site areas on the 3rd try.
I am impressed with you!

pumping since 08-00