Re: [IP] Ignorance of Ins. Co's. (rant)

> I've never had "formal" diabetic nutrition classes, so
> I enquired about them. She said, "what do you need
> those for?, all you have to do is learn to control your
> salt, you don't need someone telling you what you
> can and cannot eat!"

This is quite amusing to me.  First, the obvious total lack of understanding
confusing salt and sugar.  Tested your blood salt level lately?

But let's accept her premise for a moment.  Let's pretend that, as
diabetics, all we need to do is control our salt.  How do we know what foods
should be avoided, or how to substitute and replace with a good alternative,
unless we are told?  Some foods that don't seem that sweet are actually
loaded with sugar, so I would guess the same would be true for salt.

My suspicion is that this ins. person may not know for sure whether or not a
diabetic nutrition class or carb counting would be covered.  There is a lot
of variability among insurance plans, but I would think that an ins. plan
refusing to cover carb counting teaching sessions would be treading in a
dangerous area.  Who are they to decide that this is not medically

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had insurance that refused to cover
some sort of nutritional or carb counting education.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990