Re: [IP] Diagnosis of a young child (kinda long)

> It seems that a friend of her son's has been diagnosed with T1.  OK,
> so no big deal, he is 5.  Well, she just can't believe that they would
> put him on insulin at such a young age.

This sounds to me like either a jumbling of the two types in her mind
(adults go on insulin, but children get diet and exercise) or a mistaken
idea that diabetes is one progressive disease, one that starts out requiring
only diet and exercise, and eventually gets "bad enough" that they need
insulin by injection.

It also sounds like she is not all that open to learning, even from a type 1
diabetic who should know what she is talking about.  She seems determined to
believe that this child's disease is being treated over aggressively.

I don't subscribe to the grieving -- denial theory, simply because this is a
friend of the SIL, not a child of her own.  She would more likely grieve
over her own child, but simply feel sorry for the child (and the parents) of
a friend.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990