[IP] Diagnosis of a young child (kinda long)

I just want to share with you some information my sister-in-law told
me over Easter.

It seems that a friend of her son's has been diagnosed with T1.  OK,
so no big deal, he is 5.  Well, she just can't believe that they would
put him on insulin at such a young age.

She wanted to know at what age I started on insulin and how they found
that I had the disease.  I proceeded to inform her that insulin is the
ONLY way to control T1 and that no matter what age, young or old, that
the person WILL be started either on MDI or a pump, and most likely,
will have to start on MDI until they can be approved for the pump.

I also informed her that I was 13 when I was diagnosed and the
symptoms I was having (I was 13 at the time and went in for a routine
physical and had to pee in the cup and had blood drawn).  The next day
I found myself being taken out of school and my parents explained what
was happening on the way to the hospital).  My BG was 854 and I was 4+
on ketones.

I was started on insulin immediately and found myself experiencing my
1st low that same night.  I was not released from the hospital until I
gave my own shot.

I continued to explain to Diane how the child will have to poke his
finger or arm several times a day and learn about his new disease, but
that it is not the end of the world for this little guy.

She just can't believe that they would start such a young child on
insulin?  Well, why not?  She says he is too young, Do you want him to
succeed in life or die before he turns 6?  Well, yes she wants him to
succeed and can't understand why he would die?  I try to explain to
her the effects of carbs and sugars on the system and what insulin and
the pancreas do, still she is dumbfounded and cannot understand how
this little guy is going to manage later in life.

It is this mentality that endangers us all!!