[IP] Rachel Jauregu story

What kind of a journalist wrote this inaccurate piece of drivel???

I am all for informing the public about the "dangers" of diabetes, since I
have been a type 1 diabetic for 29 years, and constantly have to put up with
people's rude stares and insenstive comments when I test my blood in public,
but to put in print a whole HOST of errors, is unacceptable!!!

If Rachel was stupidly rationing her insulin, meaning she was not taking
enough to keep her blood sugars in a normal range (which, in case you want to
know, is about 80-120), she would be HIGH and would NOT have needed juice.
If you are going to take LESS insulin, you have to eat less food, get more
exercise, and if you are a smart, reasonable intelligent person, you will
call your doctor and ask for HELP in securing medical supplies!  If she was
in diabetic ketoacidosis, as reported in this story, her blood sugar would be
so supremely high that nothing BUT insulin could have helped her.  In fact,
her children probably only made the problem WORSE by giving her the
strawberry syrup!  Calling the paramedics is what helped, NOT the syrup.

Without insulin, the body can NOT metabolize the sugars floating around in
the blood stream.  So simply giving a diabetic JUICE can do more harm than
good, and printing this story like this, probably did the same.  I am glad
she is ok and a donor got her some insulin, but if Rachel really wanted to
teach her kids something, she would have set an example by taking PROPER care
of herself.  She would have regularly tested her blood sugar so she KNEW she
was getting into a dangerous level with constant high blood sugars.  She
could have taught her sons how to test her blood as well.  My 3 year old
nephew used to watch me take mine, and was able to do his own after only
watching 4 times!

Rachel has been diabetic for 7 years.  That is MORE than enough time to learn
about all the resources there are to people with diabetes, as well as the
dangers of NOT taking the insulin.  If a doctor prescribes something, it is
usually because you NEED it!  You can not ration insulin, like you do with
leftover easter candy, or water during times of drought...You eat, you take
the determined amount of insulin. Period.  There is no discussion about it,
or you go into DKA!

She says she blacked out, but she remembers she couldn't see and that her
ears were ringing.  she remembers not being able to swallow...she remembers
calling out to god.  so which is it?  unconscious or not?  Did she go into a
twitching "fit" like so many un-informed readers might suppose??

God does not always provide, so one must be prepared to take care of one's
own self.  There are organizations who will donate needed medical supplies,
INCLUDING insulin, if you just open your eyes, and mouth, to look and ask for

If Rachel was "hedging her bets" with the insulin, and "hoping" things would
turn around, I wonder what else she was compromising in terms of caring for
her children!...If she was so stupid as to think that JUICE was the answer to
her high blood sugar problem, then she has a lot more problems than god can
solve right now.  She needs EDUCATION...and sadly, this story does NOTHING in
that area

Bleah....this whole thing makes my blood sugar soar...good thing I know how
to take care of it.

Sara Falconer