[IP] Reply I rec'd to Myth Story

The Tribune writer responded to my post. She was very defensive, and since I
do not have permission to share it with the list, I'll paraphrase:

The EMTs identified the problem for the patient and treated it as much as
she would allow. She is happy to live another day because of the sons'
actions, and credits the High Hopes program for encouraging her to teach her
sons about DM. She has learned the danger of stretching her insulin and
admitted she was shorting herself.

The writer said it was clear and not contradictory that this is not the best
way to manage her disease, but it's sad in America many people must make a
medical decision based on finances, not need.

When researching the story and the terms the patient used, the writer found
one of the best sources to be the one I included: "If you are unable to tell
what is causing a diabetic person to fall into a coma, it is better to treat
for low
blood sugar . . ."  She also said nowhere in the article is anyone advising
to treat DKA with sugar. Evidently she checked with Bayer Diagnostics
Division (a local company) and they corroborated her explanation and the
terms used. (I wonder if they really understood)

She said DM has changed the patient's life and its daily walk.

(DUH!!!) I do hope she gets better educated and some help through our local
Diabetes Association that helps those in need for supplies for a restricted
period of time.

BTW, she said she has received other posts running in the same vein as my
longgggg one. ;-)

We must never let a good story be ruined by facts ~ Gerald Mann