Re: [IP] Flying

In a message dated 05/12/2003 8:34:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Hmmm, I've never called to tell anyone at an airlines (who has no clue)
> about my pump or my diabetes.  Why on earth would you have to suspend?  Do
> you remove the batteries too?  That pump is still electronic and basically
> running as long as the batteries are in it.  Just goes to show, they don't
> have a clue.  I've packed my insulin in a pharmacy bottle (thanks Sara SP
> and Jan Chait for that suggestion) with my prescription on it.  I even took
> it out of my bag this last time and told the security guard that I didn't
> want it to go through the x-ray.  He took it around the scanner, looked at
> the prescription and the insulin bottle and then handed it back to me.  I
> follow Sara SP's "don't ask, don't tell" policy for the most part.  I've
> never been stopped or questioned during security.  I also flew a couple
> weeks ago, with all my jewelry (medical bracelet, metal watch, earrings,
> rings, and metal eyeglasses) on and never triggered the scanner alarm.  Go
> figure.  And I do agree, carry diabetes supplies with you in your carry-on
> bag.  Do not pack all of them in your checked luggage.  If you need
> something during flight, you'll have it available.  I personally don't
> carry a "medical carry-on bag", I've got enough junk to carry around that
> airport, don't need one more bag, two are enough for all my needs. YMMV.
> RoseLea
> who enjoyed her visit to see Sara SP very much.  :o)

RoseLea I have a flight attendant ask me if I had a pager or insulin pump on
when I last went to AZ. She had seen my doing a bolus for a snack. I then
asked her about there announcement to turn off all cell phones and all that
stuff. She told me any medical device doesn't have to be turned off. Speaking
of AZ can anybody report on Tom Beatson's condition? Roger C