Re: [IP] To pump or not to pump

>I am a type II insulin dependent diabetic, using Novalog and Lantis.
>acceptable A1C. I do produce insulin.
>Doc has recommended using a pump.

 I am also Type II and until recently I used Lantus and Humalog.I have to
say, IMHO, that I have had much better results with using a pump, rather than
MDI. With MDI, I still had many swings from above average, say 140 up to the
low 300's sometimes several times daily. As T2, I do not normally go higher
than about 350, but I rarely have had any lows. I have had problems with low
blood sugars, but that was with NPH and R insulins alone and when combined
with oral meds. With Lantus and H, the lows disappeared, but so did any
"normal" readings. It was an exception when I got a reading of 120.
With the pump, I now stay within the normal range most of the time (about
52%). I have had a few low readings, one severe low during the adjustment
phase when starting the pump. That is to be expected as I tighten down on my
control. The huge change is that a reading above 180 is now the exception,
rather than the rule. Most Bg readings run between 85 and 150. I get higher
readings about once a day, occasionally once day will be troublesome with
highs around 250 that do not want to cooperate, but again, this is now about
1 day a week, not the 6 days a week I was dealing with before.
Yes, it is MUCH more convienent. I do not have to run to the bathroom at a
resturant or to pull out my syringe in public to make an adjustment. At
first, I felt very conspicious with the pump, now I do not even notice it. I
would have rather stayed high in the past, than to pull out the needle at a
public gathering or work. I have much tighter control, and I feel much better
than I did on MDI. I would recommend that if you can afford it, that you go
for it. I would rather have the expense, than deal with the likely future
complications. While being T2 is not an immediately life threatening issue as
it is with T1's, the likelyhood of future complications is just as daunting.
Good luck in the future and if you have any further questions, please feel
free to ask.If I can, I will gladly answer. Tina H.