[IP] Re: Myth Story

After reading the article it is easy to see what the subject PROBABLY told the
reporter and how it got so messed up in the story.  The woman most likely had
a hypoglycemic episode (not ketoacidosis as stated in the article) and she may
have explained that she was trying to save money not by cutting back on
insulin but by cutting back on testing strips (the real big expense for us!)
and therefore she didn't realize she was going low.  The reporter, not being
familiar with diabetes only clung to words he/she knew like "insulin" and
"diabetic coma".  The reporter may have researched "diabetic coma" and found
the ketoacidosis explanation and used that in the story.  It sounds more
dramatic than "low blood sugar" to the average person  (although when a
diabetic has a low blood sugar it IS very serious as we all know).

Truthfully I don't think enough people are interested in the specifics of what
went wrong with the woman.  They just want to hear that the children saved her
life and that's what the story conveys.  I wish people did care more, of
course.   I really wish this misinformation wouldn't keep getting reported
again and again in newspapers, magazines and TV.  UGH...oh well...it's nice
that we can all sigh together about this!

SIGH...when will they get it right?
kindest regards,