From: email @ redacted
Date: Sunday, May 11, 2003 8:16:26 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] hypoglycemic unawareness-human insulins

I have been on insulin since 1965. When I made the change to human insulin,
there was an immediate difference in the quality of my symptoms of hypos.
They were much more nebulous, sometimes not there. Because of the symptom
change being associated with the change in insulin, I tried to check this
out.
At that time I helped out a a camp for diabetic kids. I asked the nurse
there
(who was experiencing the same change). She had quizzed the kids, and got
the
same answer. They were too young (as in years of diabetes) for neuropathy or
the other reasons given for unawareness. I did a literature search, and
found
some studies that supported human insulin causing unawareness. These
included
controlled studies, not just anecdotal reports. However, this was not the
final conclusion that the medical community reached. I've given up trying to
argue the point with my physicians.
Barbara Ziegler