[IP] Loss of dexterity Sudden complications of DM

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:06:36 -0500
From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re: Dupuytren's Contracture- and other hand stuff

>> when I was younger I had really good fine motor skills and did lots or
intricate crafts for hours on end. I know I am a little too worked up about
this but I am only 23 (D for 16 years) and don't like the thought of this
getting worse.  <snip> I feel a little reluctant going to the Dr, their
always like 'your young, you should be enjoying life not worrying
about an old persons disease' but that does not help the problem any. >>

Isn't that another way of saying *I don't have a hint as to what this is or
the cause*? I was pretty nervous when I was in my early 20s. I not only had
uncontrolled DM (pee tests, 1 shot a day, etc.) but I had 2 babies 10 mos. &
14 days apart. My uncle said, "What do you have to be nervous about, you're
so young." Yeah, right!

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

Life is about living...not denying... Sara Smarty Pants (IPer)

No question that Sara Smarty Pants is right but Denial is not just a river
in Egypt, its also a powerful defense mechanism. How does a young woman
protect herself from fetal loss in pregnancy? How do a group of us protect
ourselves from the death of a good friend? Denial helps us keep living. It
has to be there for us to go on. The older we get, the more brain cells we
lose. some of these cells are lost to oxidative damage from free radicals,
some to nitrous oxide damage. some are programmed to die. The latter cells
are subjected to the death cascade of enzymes released on command of the
genetic material in the cells chromosomes. cdk1 initiates the process it is
joined by other cdk cytokines cdk stands for cyclin dependant kinase this
starts a cycle going which culminates in cell death. When cells die by this
mechanism they do not leave any trace of their existence. they are erased
from the world. all of their proteins are recycled, the cell carbs are
recycled. Unlike cells which die from disease which leave the nucleus, the
cytoplasm and other parts around which pathologists can examine.
When cells are targeted by immune complexes they present a marker to killer
T-cells which target them and initiate destruction. This is the mechanism
for islet cell destruction in diabetes. When too much glucose is around the
cells are flooded with this fuel and literally burn out. Islet cells in type
2 diabetes also do this. Other cells such as tendon cells are damaged, you
develop contractures of certain tendons Dupuytren's Contracture results some
ligaments are thickened as a result. Carpal tunnel can occur. You can get a
tremor in your hands, have problems seeing and all kinds of problems which
interfere with doing fine work. This can be a direct result of diabeasties.
I used to be able to solder electronic comonants to plated circuit boards
now i have too much tremor and sometimes cannot read the color code on
resistors because of retinopathy. Don't tell me how young I am. at 65 I feel
like 93., spot