[IP] tubing bubbles (was...suspending pump and curiosity

It isn't the pump that is prone or not prone to bubbles, but the infusing
equipment: connections, the "dead space" in the needle and hub of the
syringe/cartridge, and the temperature of insulin when filling the syringe.

A few suggestions for managing bubbles:

Be sure the connections are tight, but not so tight they crack when connected
(doesn't happen often, but the potential is there).

Clear all air out of the syringe by filling a bit more than you need and push
it back into the bottle or push it out into the air until you see a drop or
two if insulin. If inserting air into the insulin bottle to remove insulin,
inject air into the air in the bottle, not into the fluid.

When connecting syringe to infusion set, push enough insulin out to see a
rounded fluid bulge at the end of the syringe, then connect tubing.

If filling syringe with cold insulin, trapped air can form a bubble within
the tubing as the insulin fluid temperature rises to "room temp."  Fill
syringe, let it come to room temp while in an upright position so any air
bubbles can rise toward the needle, push out any visible bubble, then do your
tubing connection.

Tiny "champagne bubbles" aren't usually a problem. A half inch to inch or
more of air in the tubing is a problem. Disconnect and prime until these are
out of the tubing.

Again, YMMV!

>Does current training still emphasize checking the tubing often for bubbles?
I don't recall hearing much about it on the list lately.  I remember my
trainer "dictating" that I should check the tubing every time I went to the
bathroom.  Perhaps the newer pumps aren't very prone to bubbles?<