[IP] Re: Suspending pump and curiousity

When I have disconnected, I always bolus or prime a half unit or so
before I reconnect to protect against the (rare) times that the insulin
level has seemed to fall back, even though I don't suspend.  I use the
opportunity of having insulin moving in the tubing to make it easier to
check for bubbles over the whole length of the tubing.  I used to find
bubbles in the tubing a lot when I was getting toward the bottom of a
Minimed reservoir when I was using the 507c, and, being on a pretty low
dosage, they could make a significant difference in my control if I
didn't prime them out.  On the Animas, I think I've only found a bubble
twice in a year, but one of them was long enough to have potentially
left me without any basal for 2 hours if I hadn't caught it.  Does
current training still emphasize checking the tubing often for bubbles?
  I don't recall hearing much about it on the list lately.  I remember
my trainer "dictating" that I should check the tubing every time I went
to the bathroom.  Perhaps the newer pumps aren't very prone to bubbles?

Linda Z