Re: [IP] Re: Suspending pump and curiousity

 This is how I was explained it worked. The reason for the suspend is so you
don't wate insulin first. It won't just keep giving the basal when you have it
off. Also, it is a quick way to stop a bolus if it is incorrect or for some
other unforseen reason. (all things my CDE told me during training) I love this
feature actually. If you are disconnected from the pump for an extended period
of time you need ot use a pen or som eother means to correct high BG or to
substitute for the missed basal.(my opinion at least)April

 Ryan Bruner <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by
your tax deductible contributions.

This information regarding suspending the pump is rather bothersome.
First of all, I learned about this feature of the pump from my pump
educator. She told me that suspending the pump will stop basal
delivery, and that resuming will continue delivery including insulin
you missed.

I see absolutely no purpose in the suspend feature if it is as everyone
else suggests. In fact, I see it as dangerous to work otherwise.

If I want to stop delivery of insulin for a period of time, I use a
Temporary Basal Rate of 0 units. In fact, the pump sort of protects
the user from doing this too easily. (You can't just accept 0.0
units/hour...you have to change the rate and then come back to
0.0/hour.) This makes sense because eliminating insulin delivery for a
period of time is dangerous.

Suspending the pump is a convenience feature for those times you want
to disconnect. Since I can't know when the next delivery will take
place, I don't want to just disconnect because it will deliver the
insulin while I'm disconnected, and I'll miss that insulin without
necessarily knowing it. To verify how much was missed means you have
to make an effort to first check your insulin delivery amount so far
BEFORE you disconnect, and then check again once you reconnect so that
you can give the missed amount. However, if the suspend feature
handles this, then you don't have to worry about missing insulin.

What advantage does the Suspend feature give at all if it doesn't
deliver the missed basal insulin? Why not just disconnect or set a
temporary basal rate?

If I disconnect for 2 hours and have it suspended...then at the end of
the two hours, I will NEED that insulin I missed because my blood sugar
will be on an upward trend at that point. At a .6 u/h rate, that means
I missed 1.2 units of insulin. WHen I resume, I would need that 1.2
units of insulin to either bring down or prevent my BG level from
rising ~60 mg/dL.

If this is truly how the pump operates, I'm actually quite
disappointed. The suspend feature just became a worthless feature for

Do you Yahoo!?