From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of jhughey
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 9:58 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: Suspending pump and curiousity

Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions. Your
donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is
needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest of the
diabetes community. Please visit:

>>>The Paradigm has a "Suspend" feature.  This will stop the pump from
delivering any insulin until you resume.  Once you resume, any basal insulin
that you missed will be delivered at the next scheduled delivery time so
that you never actually miss any insulin.  >>>

I don't have a Paradigm, but are you sure it gives you what you missed
during the suspension after reconnecting? That's how I read the post - "any
basal you missed will be delivered." If that is so, I'd think that would be
a very dangerous feature, such as someone suspending for 2 hours to go
swimming. They rehook and the pump will give them what they missed during
that suspension and WHAMMO - crash city!!  Does someone have the actual
paragraph from the manual to post it here for clarification?

There is misunderstanding either on my part or the poster's part.

When I switched from my first pump (checkbook box size) after 6-wks' use, to
my 2nd pump (king-sized cig-pack size) it gave a completely diff. delivery
of a supplemental basal. I didn't realize it and had almost my entire daily
dose by 11:00 a.m.!!!  This needs to be checked out because if I read the
post correctly, there HAS to be a way to stop that *missed basal* delivery
to avoid a major problem.

The 50X MM pumps just deliver where the next scheduled basal is to run, not
including the missed basal during suspension. When I'm unhooked for
showering and doing a changeout, which might be 20 min. or so, I check my
TDD on my 507C first and when I resume, I check the TDD and prime the missed
amount inside me so I don't miss any basal.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS with
World's Youngest Pumper)

I've learned that opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones
you miss.  ~ Andy Rooney