Re: [IP] Allergy to tape

>I am terribly allergic to non-allergenic tape. One of my main concerns
>about
>going on the pump is the adhesive that is used to hold everything in
>place.
>Within 24 hours of having this tape on my skin it blisters and bleeds.
>Has
>anyone had this problem and, if so, how did you get around the
>problem? I
>have my appointment to discuss the insulin pump at noon today and
>would like
>to get an idea about this issue.

For the first 6 months or so I had no problems with the tape.  Then,
back in January, I started noticing a bit of itchiness.  At first I
just attributed it to dry skin.  But, over the past several months, it
progressively worsened, and now after only a day I get a rash that will
start to "weep" and takes a few weeks to fully go away.

I was using the IV 3000 tape...but am not able to anymore.  I tried
elinating the IV Prep, but it wasn't the problem.

I called my doctor, who suggested I call Minimed.  They sent me out a
package with free samples of various other products to try.  One,
called "Bard" was supposed to create a protective barrier so that the
tape wouldn't be a problem...but it did absolutely nothing for me.  I
also tried another skin prep type product, but it also didn't help.

I also tried just using the tape that is part of the Quickset, but I
reacted to that as well.

I finally tried the Tegaderm tape and one other tape.  THe other tape
gave me a rash, but Tegaderm did not.  I've been using the Tegaderm for
about 1 1/2 weeks so far.  I'm still a little itchy...but it appears to
be residual effects from my previous rashes because after I take off
the Tegaderm, the skin actually looks very good.

>The other concern is, of course, PAIN upon insertion of the needle or
>cannula. I would like to hear from everyone that considers this
>procedure a
>relatively minor procedure with minimal pain. I would also like to know
>exactly what you are using and whether you use a steel needle or
>plastic
>cannula. Thanks in advance.

I have always been sensitive on the belly.  About 50% of the infusion
sets I put in hurt...and about half of those hurt a lot.  But, the pain
only lasts a short time, so I just bear with it.  I use the QuickSet
which has the cannula and insertion needle.  I have found that the
lower I can do it on my belly, the less it hurts...but as I get to the
sides, I have to go higher due to my pelvis bone.  Lower is problematic
because of wearing a belt...but fortunately the QuickSet has a fairly
low profile, so it really hasn't been a problem.  I try to keep the
site as close to the belt line as possible without getting under the
belt itself.

If I go any higher than the belly-button, I'm sure to be in pain...if
not for the insertion, then within a couple of days.  I've considered
switching to the 6mm cannula, but haven't done so yet.  I'm afraid that
the 6mm cannula would pull out too easily.

Ryan