From: American Diabetes Association [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 2:47 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Oppose H.R. 660!

 ADA Action Center News Alert

Click  <http://main.diabetes.org/site/R?i=S5zzXxebCswFX-HnzLM3OQ..> here to
take action on this issue.

Dear James,

Legislation currently pending in the U.S. House of Representatives will
allow insurance companies to skirt state laws that require them to cover
diabetes equipment, supplies and education.

To date, state-regulated insurance companies in 46 states are required to
cover diabetes needs (Alabama, Idaho, North Dakota and Ohio are the
hold-outs). However, if H.R. 660 passes in its current version, some people
with diabetes who receive coverage under a state-regulated program could
lose everything.

At a time when the diabetes epidemic is worsening and its associated costs
are rising, it is unwise to allow health insurers to avoid laws that
guarantee coverage for people living with the disease. The loss of health
insurance protections for people with diabetes will turn back the clock of
diabetes care by at least a decade, and will lead to more expensive crisis
management rather than cost effective preventive management.

A vote on this important legislation is expected within the next two weeks.
Please click on the button below to contact your member of the U.S. House of
Representatives today.