Re: [IP] Type 1s, weight loss, and the pump

> I wonder if the fact that we eat
> whater we want and your sugar spikes, maybe were spilling keatons and
> therefore cant gain weight???

I don't have your problem of being unable to lose weight, (I've got twenty
spare lbs. I'd be happy to give you!) but I would be surprised if this were
the cause.

Everybody is different, of course, and I know some people start spilling
ketones a lot faster than I do, but I usually don't spill ketones with a
blood sugar lower than 300 or 350.  In fact, it is rare for me to have
ketones even at *that* level, unless I am sick.  My blood sugar has to get
pretty extreme before I see ketones, usually *much* higher than a normal
after meal spike.

I know they recommend people test for ketones at 250 or higher.
Incidentally, I would think that a meal that had been properly bolused for
would likely not go much higher than that, and may not even go that high.

The question is, are there people who regularly spill ketones at levels
lower than their typical post meal spike?  I don't know, but I'm betting
not.  I'm also thinking that *if* that were the cause of your failure to
gain weight, the blood sugars would not predictably and reliably come down
after meals on a regular basis.  As a result, your A1c would probably be a
whole lot worse than your 7.6
 if ketones were the cause of a failure to gain weight.

All this is my semi un-educated guess, probably influenced a little too much
by my own personal experience.  Anybody who can refute my thinking, please
feel free, but IMHO, ketones are probably not the cause of a failure to gain
weight in a diabetic who is fairly responsible about taking care of his
insulin needs.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990