Re: [IP] about alcohol

At 02:02 PM 5/2/03 -0400, Chris wrote:
 >But, I do have a question.  I remember hearing once  that before insulin was
 >discovered that a  treatment for diabetes was to drink wine.  My
 >understanding is that it keeps the liver busy and it doesn't put out

Close, Chris.  In the very early part of the 20th century people with
diabetes were treated with a starvation diet that consisted mainly of egg
whites, cornstarch, and whisky.  But only a very little bit of any of them.

As far as I can figure, the whisky was used so the patients could maintain
some weight while eating not much of anything.  As you mentioned, it also
stopped the liver from releasing gycogen. Therefore their blood sugars did
not rise in the absence of carbos.  And it probably helped with the dawn
phenomenon if they had their drink at night.

Frederick Allen of NY was the doctor who came up with this diet and he
treated many people with relative (for that time) success using it.  He
wrote a revolutionary (for that time) book, entitled "Total Dietary
Regulation in the Treatment of Diabetes," about which there is a surprising
absence of information on the internet.

I heard a lot about this regimen when I was first diagnosed (1970) but I
guess no-one wants to remember it anymore.

I do, though. So if you have any information please send it to me
personally (not on the IP List)  to email @ redacted  Just think, there may
eventually be a web site!