Re: [IP] Re: Sugar and More Sugar and Brittle Diabetics?

On Friday, May 2, 2003, email @ redacted wrote:

>  I have always eaten whatever I want (except when I used R not H)

LOL  You must be a lot younger than I am -- H hasn't actually been
around very long, from some of our perspectives <gr.>.

But I think your general point is a good one.  If the definition (as
per Barbara B) is that brittleness has to do with actually having the
wild blood sugar "excursions", it can often be avoided with enough
knowledge and effort.  Of course, many of us grew up without having the
tools to do that, even if someone, somewhere did have the knowledge.
But what you describe seems to me to be a TENDENCY toward brittleness,
and I think that having that is also a meaningful distinction to make.
A lot of people don't seem to have it, or have it under only certain
circumstances.  I, also, keep normal HA1c's, even during menopause (but
only with a tremendous amount of work), and I find it easiest to just
say to medical people that I am brittle, so they know that I have the
kind of diabetes that is going to require a lot of effort to keep under
control.  So far, my making that distinction has seemed to be
meaningful, but if medical people are now using the term brittleness to
only refer to people who have DKA and ER trips, maybe I want to make a
finer distinction.

And, as someone who is dealing now with what seems to be an insulin
allergy, did you have  any particular information about insulin
antibodies?  I am generally using a whole lot more insulin than I ever
remember doing before, but every time I try a new insulin, I seem to
return to normal for a couple days, then go up again.  I can understand
why insulin antibodies could cause the need for more insulin by binding
it and making it unavailable, and I can understand why the antibodies
might not be active the first few days of a new insulin, but I don't
understand why some doctors are saying that antibodies can also cause
lows when the insulin is not changed.

Linda Z