[IP] article [pump] "double dose that lowered her sugar to a critical level"

Mountain News: Local</A>
4-year-old goes to diabetic mom's rescueParents taught him how to call 911 in
just such an emergency

By Owen S. Good, Rocky Mountain News
May 1, 2003

CENTENNIAL - A 4-year-old boy saved his mother's life Wednesday morning by
dialing 911 and calmly informing operators her blood sugar was dangerously

"My mom can't walk or talk," Nathan Compton told the operator after finding
his mother, Shayne Compton, collapsed on the floor of the family room.
"Mommy's blood sugar's low," he said, straight from a script his parents had
practiced with him for just such an emergency.

Shayne Compton, who has managed diabetes for the past 30 years, said her
insulin pump had failed and a replacement arrived sooner than expected,
essentially delivering a double dose that lowered her sugar to a critical
level. She had not entered a diabetic coma but was close to it.

Her husband, Doug Compton, was at work. Nathan's 11-year-old sister, Savannah
Heggie, was at school.

But Nathan was home from preschool - he goes one day a week - and he proved
to be security enough for his mom.

"I keep giving him hugs and kisses," Shayne Compton said, "and you tell him
things like, 'You saved Mommy.' I don't know if he really knows what he did."

After the dispatch sent paramedics to the Comptons' residence, Nathan walked
to the front door, unlocked it and let them in. The crew was able to revive
his mother and treat her without taking her to a hospital.

"Absolutely he did," Shayne Compton answered when asked if her son saved her

Of course, Nathan said he wasn't scared; Shayne Compton said the Arapahoe
County dispatcher apparently did a great job keeping him at ease. "I remember
hearing him laugh on the phone," she said. Nathan said the operator told him
a joke.

The paramedics gave him a plastic fire helmet and a teddy bear, both as a
reward for his fast action and also to keep him occupied while they worked on
his mom.

"They had a hard time finding a vein," she said.

Doug Compton tore home from work after getting a message from the paramedics.
"It's something I worry about every day with my wife," he said, which is why
the couple taught their kids how to dial in an emergency.

"He's a tough kid, and a smart kid, and we knew he could do it if he had to,"
he said.

Shayne Compton said Nathan's sister had to call 911 for the same emergency
when she was 5 years old. Doug Compton said they taught the kids how to dial
before they could read the numbers. He said it was easy, and stressed all
parents should do the same.

"It's important regardless of the circumstances, whether it's diabetes or
not," he said. "Who knows, I could be at home and suffer a serious injury."