Re: [IP] Keeping Insulin Fresh

>>>I get my insulin from express scripts and it comes in a foam envelope
with some ice packs to keep it cool.  They ship it so that it will arrive at
my rural address overnight.   I always check it when it arrives to make sure
that it is still cool. This is a big improvement over Merck-medco who used
to ship it any old time and occasionally it would be on the road for a week
and arrive warm.  <snip> I'm always nervous about
getting insulin in the heat of the summer tho and I try to keep track of
when they ship as it is often over 100 here in northern CA  June through

Then, in February in north-central Indiana it gets tricky when M-M in Texas
ships insulin to us. We've had some 70*F days already and the insulin would
sit in the hot mailbox. Or, it would freeze if a typical Feb. day. I try
very hard to avoid shipments in Jan/Feb and July/Aug - due to unpredictable
weather. My Rx says I use 40u a day which I actually use about 33u and
allowance made for toss-away insulin in the tubing. I change sites 4-5 days.
This way I can have a vial or two ahead to cover me.

If you go around acting all dignified and sane, you might freeze that way! ~
Mike Bass' grammy