Subject: Re: [IP] about alcohol

I believe your right mostly about alcohol not consuming carbs and I
appreciate your explanation about how carbs and alcohol can't break down at
the same time. I always bolus for alcohol. I also suggest eating before
drinking,  I stated that when you have too much alcohol and are drunk then
the alcohol eats the carbs. I still think this is true, but to be more clear
the alcohol breaks down and consumes the sugars which were once carbs. This
will bottom out your bg when you've had too much . This is proven by the
formula : Sugar + yeast = alcohol + Co2,
this happens when your drunk, not when your drinking responsibily.

You have assumed in your theory that insulin is peaking, I never assumed
that, and can say with me that hasn't been the case. You can have a good bg,
or even high bg, not bolus, have no residual insulin left at all, get drunk
and go low.

"Leigh Steed" <email @ redacted>

   Alcohol doesn't consume carbs. The danger is in drinking and not eating at
the same time. Your liver cannot process alchohol and create new glucose
(gluconeogenesis) at the same time. If you are not getting new glucose into
your bloodstream from food digesting while you are drinking, then insulin
that is
peaking has nothing to work on and you can go low. Some types of drinks have
enough carbohydrate to cover this problem, but be careful taking a lot of
insulin while drinking especially if you are eating minimally. Much better
to test frequently and then correct.