[IP] Re: How Low Can You Go?

 Natasha, I wanted to relay this to you because I was once (a long time
ago!!) like you: a Mom with young children. I belonged to a baby-sitting
co-op back then and one time I was watching a member's 9 month old along with
my 15 month old and 4 year old. I felt exhausted and sat down to rest. (No
meters back then.) The next thing I knew, I was in the emergency room with my
husband and two children beside me looking anxious. I would give anything not
to have subjected all of them to that scenario. Fortunately everyone survived
but it was not a time I remember fondly. In fact in my 31 years as a Type 1,
it is one of only two times I went to the ER for hypoglycemia. The other time
I was in my first trimester of pregnancy.

Now that we have the tools to prevent such things, I would advise following
the prevailing protocol for blood sugar ranges. If you are running at 38, you
could lapse into a sleepiness that ends up being a trip to the ER. Stay
within the guidelines: Below 60 means you need some carbohydrates. Do it for
your family if not yourself.

Bay Area
IDDM 31 years, Pumping 2.5 years