Re: [IP] Questions - Diabetes 101

On Thu, 1 May 2003 06:31:30 -0700 (PDT), Ginny <email @ redacted>

 > I have two questions both about diabetes, not pumps.
 > The first one may make me sound ignorant but I really
 > am curious.
 > What makes a person need more insulin than another
 > person?  I see on this list that some people need to
 > take 1 unit for 12 grams of carb or 15 grams.  Also
 > the amount of insulin per day is so different.  I
 > realize we are all different but I wonder what makes
 > me need 40 units a day and someone else 100 units.  I
 > know our difference in weight would be a consideration
 > and also how much we eat. Is it that easy or is it a
 > matter of the length of time you have had diabetes?
 > <snip>

It is NOT a matter of the length of time you have had diabetes. I have
had T1 for 60 years, and my TDD is between 35 and 40 units. Back in the
1940's and 1950's I injected more than 80 units per day, all in one shot
with a 2cc glass syringe. Of course the insulin wasn't as pure then as
it is now, so that was part of the difference. I believe the answer to
your question is just that there are all kinds of variation in body
chemistry among people.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000