Re: [IP] Questions - Diabetes 101

> I have two questions both about diabetes, not pumps.
> The first one may make me sound ignorant but I really
> am curious.
> What makes a person need more insulin than another
> person?  I see on this list that some people need to
> take 1 unit for 12 grams of carb or 15 grams.  Also
> the amount of insulin per day is so different.  I
> realize we are all different but I wonder what makes
> me need 40 units a day and someone else 100 units.  I
> know our difference in weight would be a consideration
> and also how much we eat. Is it that easy or is it a
> matter of the length of time you have had diabetes?
> The second question is a matter of personal preference
> but I wonder how everyone feels about this.  Before I
> became a diabetic I stayed away from everything with
> aspertaine and other diet products.  Just as a general
> health concern.  Now that I need to have them I worry
> about it.  Do you feel it is better to eat products
> without aspertain and bolus extra for it or do you
> feel it is better to eat the "diet" products and not
> have to give yourself the extra insulin?
> Also, I would like to say thanks to everyone.  This
> list has made pumping easier.
> Ginny - Type 1 Diabetes.  Diagnosed at 47 years old
> Pumping since Aug 2002

I don't really know the answer on insulin resistance.  I do know that Type
IIs like myself tend to be more insulin resistant.  Maybe Spot can help out
on that one.  As you said, weight and how much we eat does have some

As to diet soda, I can tell you from personal experience.  Having had
diabetes for 30 years, I was always told, "NO SUGAR."  So I drank diet soda.
Now I could drink regular soda.  But soda is generally around 35 grams of
carbs.  For me to bolus would mean 11.6 units of insulin (1:3 ratio).  So,
after years of diet and not wanting to use insulin on soda, I have decided
to stick with diet.

Good questions!