[IP] re using ear lobes

To reply to Kristen-
"I have heard that that was okay to do, and have used it when checking my
son's bs occasionally.  But I have a curious question here.  How do you do
this, practically speaking, on yourself?  I use my eyes to see when I've
gotten enough blood from my fingers, but that wouldn't work too well when
you can't really see your earlobes.  How do you know when you've got enough

I bought myself a small magnifying mirror on a stand years ago to try out
the suggestion. I am not a well-co-ordinated person, but soon got the hang
of holding the strip and meter up to my ear. First the stand broke a couple
of years ago so I had to begin propping it up in the meter case. Then I
broke the mirror itself a couple of weeks ago, so now it is a very small
half mirror.(VBG) Just need to remember to buy a new one small enough to fit
into my meter case. A lot easier to get enough blood now I'm on aspirin
therapy.:) In the car I use the vanity mirror. At night I go into the
bathroom and turn on the light and use the big mirror.

"By the way, if those earlobes ever get too calloused, you might give the
fingers a try again.  I end up changing lancets just about every time I
change meters, because they inevitably need less blood, and the new lancet
produces less.  My fingers used to get awfully sore from those old meters
that used so much blood, but using as little as the Ultra uses, I can check
even on my most frequently used fingers without any problems at all later on
with it hurting."

I got a new meter last year that sips up the sample, but it still needs
quite a lot of blood. I'll look into one of the newer ones. Sometimes at
night I am too lazy to get out of bed so I'll use my fingers. I guess even
with the long break they are still just too sensitive! The finger will hurt
for a couple of days when I pick something up for example or dunk them in
the sink to do the dishes.

The only downside to using my earlobes, now that I know for sure that the
results are accurate :), is that it is more difficult to wear earrings and
the ears can get pretty ugly looking by times, bruised and scabs.:) When I'm
out I've gotten into the habit of touching the lobe I've jabbed too to make
sure there is no dot of blood still there. Once I didn't realize that it
hadn't stopped bleeding and someone was a little upset that I had blood all
through my hair and on my clothes. Even after doing it for the last 10 years
or so, they still feel soft and not calloused. Same as my sites, I try to
switch sides and the area of each lobe every time. Let me tell you it is
hard to flip one's ear up to get the backside, but the bottom rim isn't too
difficult to use!

As usual, YMMV!  Susan