Re: [IP] Questions - Diabetes 101

> What makes a person need more insulin than another
> person?  I see on this list that some people need to
> take 1 unit for 12 grams of carb or 15 grams.  Also
> the amount of insulin per day is so different.  I
> realize we are all different but I wonder what makes
> me need 40 units a day and someone else 100 units.  I
> know our difference in weight would be a consideration
> and also how much we eat. Is it that easy or is it a
> matter of the length of time you have had diabetes?

as far as i know, and i'm sure people will expand on this, your insulin
requirements are very much a personal thing.  my basal rate is different
from another person's, and even my basal rate needs will change, depending
on what's going on (like being really exhausted).  they (doctors) also
figure that i'm still making a little teeny bit of insulin, while other
people have absolutely no insulin production (i don't mean i'm making any
useful amount, but there is supposedly still a little bit, but that's most
likely disappearing as i age. <g>).

> The second question is a matter of personal preference
> but I wonder how everyone feels about this.  Before I
> became a diabetic I stayed away from everything with
> aspertaine and other diet products.  Just as a general
> health concern.  Now that I need to have them I worry
> about it.  Do you feel it is better to eat products
> without aspertain and bolus extra for it or do you
> feel it is better to eat the "diet" products and not
> have to give yourself the extra insulin?

i've never had problems with aspartame, so i'll drink diet pop (pop up here,
not soda!), rather than bolusing for regular.  some people do have allergies
to some sweeteners, and some people have PKU, which means they can't have
the phenylalanine (sp?) which is in aspartame.
i will eat regular chocolate bars or candy, and bolus for those, since they
taste better to me than the artificially sweetened ones, which often
actually have as many carbs as the regular ones.  (the -ol sweeteners give
me the runs too, another reason to avoid them).

i think most people will agree, a lot of this stuff is all personal choice,
preference, or whatever works best for you.

and i agree, the list has made pumping easier.  very amusing at times too.

liz - ottawa