Re: [IP] about alcohol

> When making beer or wine carbs are converted into alcohol. The formula for
> wine is Sugar + yeast = alcohol + Co2 What this means and why i got lows
> because i had too much alcohol which was starting to consume my carbs,
> therefore causing lows. Drinking is a delicate balance between highs and
> lows. Blood sugar will all of a sudden drop when you have a lot to drink
> So here's my advice when drinking alcohol:
>     Eat before you drink !!!
>     Bolus for carbs- call budweiser or other brands you frequent they put
> a           nutrient/carb list, carbs and alcohol vary greatly
>     Don't drink alone, have a buddy who knows your situation
>     Know your limit and stick to it - being a diabetic and taking care of
> yourself is             hard enough sober, Don't  try to do it drunk
>     Don't drink and drive

i wish that someone had explained all this to me when i started injecting
insulin.  the diabetes educators did tell me to be careful when drinking,
but didn't explain why it could cause lows.   i'm not a big drinker, but i
like a few now and then.  i have one not very good memory of going out with
some "friends" who did know that i was injecting insulin, but didn't really
pay much attention to any of the information about it.  i didn't drink much
that night, certainly not enough to get me drunk - probably 2 ciders over a
number of hours - but i felt so odd when it was time to go home.  managed to
get into a taxi, and back to where i was living, realizing only at home that
i was low, which was the reason for the odd behaviour.  figured out that i
hadn't eaten enough beforehand, and since i was in an alcohol environment,
everyone just assumed that i was drunk.  i've been pretty careful ever
since.  making sure to have food when i drink, and if i have doubts, i
don't.  :)

liz - ottawa, wondering what to do with herself now that exams are over,
with no classes for 2 weeks.