[IP] Re: lancet changes

In a message dated 5/31/02 8:20:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My doctor's office does not wipe off my finger with anything before
> testing, they just have me wash my hands.  My doctor told me that alcohol
> toughens the skin and that I should not use it and to wash the area
> (finger, injection area or infusion site) with soap and water.

Not only that, but those of us who have had microbiology also learn that a
quick alcohol wipe does little more good than washing your hands.  It can
take several minutes for alcohol to start killing most microbes.  The alcohol
swipe does wipe off excess dirt if you don't have a place to wash your hands,
but that's about the only immediate benefit.

I, too, reuse my lancets.  I wasn't very good at checking my blood sugars for
the first fifteen years.  Once I got on the pump, I bit the bullet and
learned how to stick my own finger.  I HATED that.  I know I went for over a
year on two lancets when I first started the daily routine.  I finally
noticed that the first one was getting dull and was becoming more painful, so
I switched.