Re: [IP] Re: ABC News (islet transplant)

The researcher that spoke at our meeting was Dr. Kristina Rother (Senior
Clinical Staff Investigator, Transplant and Autoimmunity Branch, NIDDK, NIH)
When she spoke (May 3, 2002), there were only SIX people, all women, who had
received the transplants.  ALL six were off of insulin injections, and of
course being followed VERY closely.  A transplant recipient also spoke to us,
and she has been off insulin completely for a year now.

In addition, I attended a meeting with Dr. Allen Spiegel, Director of NIDDK
of the NIH on May 11, 2002, in Canton, Ohio who also presented SIX patients
all of whom were off of insulin injections.  I do believe that Dr. Spiegel
would have the correct information.

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CNSD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian
Certified Insulin Pump Trainer

2002 ADA 'Call to Congress: Conquer Diabetes' Participant (May 1-3, 2002)
IDDM X >20 Years, Pumping 1/4/1995
"Diabetes is a disease of complications and waiting for them to happen." - -
- Mary Tyler Moore

Please pray for my oldest friend, Sandi Pompili, as she battles Leukemia and
now recovers from a Bone Marrow Transplant on March 6, 2002.  She has a long
road to recovery.