Re: [IP] expensivemeds

In a message dated 5/31/02 5:19:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Today is the last
> day of health insurance coverage for us - indefinately!

I know how scary this can be.  I just went through it myself a few months
ago.  My husband changed jobs (definitely not my idea) and we were without
health insurance for 3 months.  At least I knew I'd have insurance when the 3
months were up so your situation is a little different.  But I'll tell you
what I did to get supplies and maybe some of that can help you.  First, I
wrote to Lilly and asked them if they could "donate" some Humalog.  They
wouldn't do that but told me that they had a program for people who are
having financial hardship.  They told me to ask my endo about it as they
should have the necessary forms to fill out.  I ended up not needing the
forms because my endo and CDE supplied me with enough insulin to get through
that time.  As for strips, I again wrote Roche (Accuchek) asking for help and
they sent me a 2 month supply of strips.  My CDE gave me her samples of
EVERYTHING......infusion sets, reservoirs, IV prep wipes,and syringes if it
came to injecting again (thank goodness it didn't).  Also, at that time,
there were a few people here who were offering  various supplies just for the
asking.  I was actually lucky enough to get infusion sets from a couple of
people that way...thanks leigh ann and michael.  So, don't despair, you'll
get through it.  Sometimes we have to be creative but with the help of
outside sources it can be done.  Good luck to you.