[IP] sofset flap irritation

For those of you that sandwich your MM sofsets between layers of tape:  do
you insert the canula and inserter needle directly through the tape or do
you cut a hole in it first?  I've developed an irritation to the flaps --
they itch like crazy constantly, and when I take them out I have welts in
the shape of flaps that are visible for a weeks.  Thanks!