Re: [IP] Re: ABC News (islet transplant)

While in Washington, D.C. for the ADA's Call to Congress: Conquer Diabetes,
the researcher at NIH (I can't remember her name) who is actually doing the
transplants said that most patients require 2 transplants (there have only
been 6 done by NIH according to her . . . all are off insulin), and it is not
done by IV infusion, but by a BIG needle in the belly to get to the liver.
The cells are transplanted into the Portal Vein in the liver.  The patient is
awake and the transplant is done by a surgeon who uses ultrasound to locate
the Portal Vein (if ya' hit the wrong thing in the liver, you could bleed to

The patient has to check the BG levels.  How else would the researchers know
if the transplant was starting to work?

To me it is simply trading one regimen for another.  I can feel good with the
current regimen.  The side effects of the immunosuppressive drugs, in my
opinion, are not worth it.  And the immunosuppressive drug are new one as we
would not be able to take the standard ones as they are toxic to beta cells.

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CNSD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian
Certified Insulin Pump Trainer

2002 ADA 'Call to Congress: Conquer Diabetes' Participant (May 1-3, 2002)
"Diabetes is a disease of complications and waiting for them to happen." - -
- Mary Tyler Moore

Please pray for my oldest friend, Sandi Pompili, as she battles Leukemia and
now recovers from a Bone Marrow Transplant on March 6, 2002.  She has a long
road to recovery.