Re: [IP] ABC news (islet transplant)

In a message dated 5/30/02 email @ redacted writes:

<< We were told by another recipient that it takes a minimum of 2-3
organs to harvest enough cells for one transplant.  And also in the article
they showed a technician checking her BGs shortly after the procedure (she
was awake for the whole thing and the cells were being transplanted via an
IV???) >>

Sylvia, some centers are getting better at isolating more cells -- I know of
one person at NIH who only needed one transplant, and I believe other centers
have also had them.  And the cells are transplanted through a needle into the
portal vein, and you theoretically are awake, according to my copy of the
protocol (though based on my hand surguries where the surgeon insisted I was
awake and talking with him, but I remembered none of it afterwards, I don't
know how meaningful that "awakeness" is <gr.>).  The recipient would
certainly be wearing an IV during all this, for IV insulin and for the
intravenous immunosuppressive drug, among other things.

I didn't see the ABC report, but these things do often get a little skewed
when they are being simplified for a very short report.

Linda Z