From: "Eric Grossman" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 11:23 AM
Subject: [IP] "Invisible" Humalog and Breakfast Cereals

> hi,
>
> This is a "regular" problem with me. Not just breakfast. It is one of the
reasons  that I joined the list.  Though I have only been on a pump for
about 6 months.

> I bolus "correctly" I am at 8gr/unit and it seems like nothing happens.
Some times it seems as if I need between 1.5 and 2 times the amount I
expect.

> I have some Ideas I have not taken it up with my doc yet.
>
> 1. Sites are not good in places. I have been a Diabetic for 23+ years.
absorption is not as good or consistent

> 2. Stomach empties slowly. That is enough glucose gets into the blood to
stop a reaction but something is left in the stomach after the insulin has
run its course. This can be a standard side effect.

> 3. Bad lot of insulin.
>
> Not sure what else a combo of the above. These are just my ideas none
seems correct to me. I do help the issue with different sites but not very
much. It also may have to do with the glisemic (SP) index of the food.