[IP] Italics in the digest form

In digest form on my computer, I'm having trouble with the italics that some
use in writing their posts.  Once someone posts in italics, the entire digest
following that letter is italicized.  I find it very difficult to read,
especially when italics is used in one of the first few letters in the
digest.  I just can't read italics for twenty letters.  I hate to be
difficult, and I don't usually complain about such petty things, but I just
have to stop reading once the italics starts.  Is it possible to use a normal
font and not use the pretty writing so that the entire digest doesn't freak
out?  Thanks!