RE: [IP] Bad Low Experiences, and Question (long)

>>  When you get so low you pass out, are you doing
damage to your brain?  Are there any reports on what kind of damage this
usually is?  My memory has always been bad, but is worse than it used to
be.  I am wondering if this is because of my past lows.<<

I don't know the medical specifics, but I have to second what you have
described.  I have had a number of bad lows in my 22 years of having
diabetes.  Many of those times, afterwards, I had temporary aphasia.  Mostly
limited to speech problems and not physical ones.  These tended to go away
over a few hours.  However, in college I noticed that after having a few
back-to-back low reactions which landed me in the ER,  I started to have
some problems finding words when I would have conversations.  I also noticed
that my reading comprehension and short-term memory seemed to be effected

More recently when I started pulling sets out at night and was waking up in
the morning around 200-300, I often felt a bit disoriented upon waking.  I
started to do basal testing during the night and found that I was often
sleeping through the alarm, and on many of those nights again woke up with
my set pulled out.  I spoke with my CDE and doctor over my concern about
this and they told me I had to get up to test.  (duh, I had been trying).
They turned down my request for the CGMS because they feel it is
unnecessary, the patients should be able to get up and test.  Grr...  So I
dropped my basals during the night and started testing again.  Upon dropping
it I found that I was still running low at points, and thus was probably
having severe lows in the middle of the night.  Incredibly scary.

It was over this time, unfortunately that I started noticing symptoms more
regularly when I wasn't running low or high.  I seem to be corrected by my
husband or coworkers at least once a day during a conversation because I
have swapped words, or said the wrong word.  On many of these occasions I
will 'repeat' the word I thought I said and say the wrong word again.  Which
I believe is considered a mild symptom of aphasia.  At 25 (26 this weekend)
years of age, this is a bit frightening.

Does anyone have any articles, or information that shows the neurological
effects of a severe low, and if there is a correlation between them and