RE: [IP] Insulin without a prescription

Michael English [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> The pharmacist told me that Humalog just became Rx only, If I
> were using
> R or Nph I would still not need a prescription, someone
> explain this?

The pharmacist is misinformed - Humalog has *always* required a
prescription, as does Lantus and Novolog.  The reason is that they are not,
strictly speaking, insulin, but are insulin analogs and don't fall under the
regulations that enable insulin to be purchased without prescription.  If
the FDA had a choice, all insulin would require a prescription (same with
aspirin, BTW).

Jim Handsfield