[IP] Insulin without a prescription

Actually on Mothers Day I went to get a bottle of Humalog without a
prescription because my mail order would arrive in couple more days. I
was down to 10 units. To my shock Walgreens said they needed a
prescription, I've purchased insulin without a prescription before!!
They had to call my endo at 9:00am on Mothers Day and get him to OK it.
The pharmacist told me that Humalog just became Rx only, If I were using
R or Nph I would still not need a prescription, someone explain this? I
realize each state is different regarding Rx sales , but why change and
only with humalog? I live in Illinois.