Re: [IP] Re: long-termers who have avoided complications

At 11:53 AM 5/27/02, it was said:
>I think I have had it with trying to write a word of encougement -- The
>negatives seem to crawl out from everywhere.  I WILL NEVER BE CONVINCED THAT

Yes, good control does help longevity.  But, so does good genes.  I am a
long-termer (39 years, diagnosed in July 1963 at the age of 11) and I
currently have very minor complications (frozen shoulder).  I too, like Jan
H., lived through those early years where you peed in a cup and checked,
which really didn't mean a whole lot since that test did not reflect an
accurate count of your bg at the time.  Yes, it may have shown overall
control perhaps, but I went to the doctor (not an endo) once every 3
months, had blood drawn two hours after breakfast, and that was the whole
basis as to whether I was doing well or not.  I lived through my early
adulthood and rarely did urine tests, basically ate an exchange diet, and
took exactly the same amount of insulin (two shots) each day.  That was not
due to a poor desire to stay healthy, but due to lack of knowledge of how
to control (?) this disease.  I think that there are so many factors that
contribute to our bg levels and some are truly out of our control, things
like hormones, stress, illness, etc.   I think that it takes a combination
of genes and hard work to keep complication free, and some folks no matter
how hard they try, just can't seem to achieve it.   And, there are some who
seem to take no care and live complication free.  So, yes, diabetes is most
certainly a YMMV disease, but that doesn't mean anyone shouldn't try to do
the best they can to stay healthy.  My 2 cents worth.