:[IP] Re: long-termers who have avoided complications REMOVAL

I'm sorry for including the entire post I'm replying to, however it's at the
end of this and I feel it necessary so you'll understand my reply:

>From the profile of Bill R Watkins email @ redacted

I had the mumps in 1967 at age 37 which probably kicked off my diabetes. I
was pressured into a pump a year and 1/2 ago by my family (best thing I ever
gave in to). At this time I have no complicatiions from diabetes. The pump
has taken away a lot of my lows that I had when on shots. I take approx 55
to 65 units of Humalog a day (Basal & Bolus) My HBA1C runs in the upper 5's
which forces me to test more often than most. I don't recommend staying in
the 5 range unless you are really careful and have a better than average
knowledge of diabetes. I test each time I drive a car, work in the yard,
before meals, etc. (9 or 10 tests a day). I am used to frequent testing and
don't mind it. I feel staying below 6.7 for years getting an HBA1C every 3
months has paid off by having No complications of any kind. >>

I'm sorry Bill feels the need to adamantly not accept that there are many
YMMVs and needs to quit the list. Some difference I see in his long-term DM
is the fact he was well into adulthood before contracting DM. hmmmmmm  He
doesn't state whether he is a T-1 or T-2, but for the sake of non-argument,
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say T-1. Even so, his body did
not have the ravages of the childhood highs and lows. Elizabeth Hughes, one
of the first young people to get any kind of insulin (early 1920s) lived to
see 87 yrs of age and died of a heart attack. Something went right for her.

Home BG testing became available in the '70s so Bill had the advantage of
self tests after not tooooo many years of DM - I went 31 years before doing
my first home BG. I know identical twins who've had DM 66 years (72 y/o) and
took very good care of themselves due to tattling on each other if not. One
is now in a nursing home, blind, on dialysis, and double amputee.

It is great that Bill threw away his TesTape early - did he ever do a
Clinitest and drop the tablet in the tube and watch it boil? I mentioned
below that individuals have a renal threshold. For those not familiar with
that, it means there's like a *dam* in the kidneys, and at a certain point
in each one, sugar spills over that dam. I heard of a man who had a BG of
1000 and never showed sugar in his urine. Another man started spilling at
285 - that's still too high. BG tests were done every 1-3 months at a lab or
dr's office and that did NOT show us any kind of control. A1c's were not
available to tell control.

'Nuff said (for now) YMMV (~_^)

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

In a message dated 05/22/2002 7:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subj:[IP] Re: long-termers who have avoided complications
> Date:05/22/2002 7:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>
> > thanks for sharing!  It really helps this pumpmama to hear from longtime
> > DMers who have had success in avoiding complications.  I know know how
> > important control is in the equation and also know that genetics are
> of
> > it all, too . . . but it helps to know that if you are dilligent about
> > control and lucky enough to get good genes, complications aren't
> inevitable!
> >
> > Lyndy
> > Pumpmama to Katie
> > - ----------------------------------------------------------
> Please keep in mind, all the long-termers had the same *tools* *back then*
> as we all did: pee tests (and individuals' thresholds varied) and one shot
> day mostly of mixed insulins. Is it really *their* success in avoiding
> complications?  I wonder? A lab test for BG once every 1- 3 months was
> hardly accurate determination. There was no ketone testing, no A1c's, no
> nothing. If we had a hypo, was it our bodies fooling us into a false low
> a *real* low? Even today I hear from people who have been living in the
> upper 200s-400s regularly and if they hit a 150 they get shaky and have to
> have carbs. Striving was possible back then, but there was no clue as to
> it was working. Some of this *is* the luck of the gene pool. If we don't
> die
> from complications, surprise! it will be from something else. ;)
> Oh, - and to the person who asked if it was inevitable we die from DM
> complications? No. We could get hit by a truck or burned in a fire or get
> cancer which is completely unrelated to DM. There are cancer survivors,
> too,
> but they will die of something - eventually. One hundred years from now it
> won't make much difference. YMMV (~_^)

Bill wrote:
     I guess some people just are unable to accept the fact that good
helps control complications -- also they find it hard to accept responses
other than what  they they themselves write. If being negative is part of
their life I feel sorry for them as well as the person that was so
discouraged being diabetic and getting negative responses from a select few.
A bit more history on my long term diabetes-- A friend who was diabetic
longer than any other person in my state used test tape and a meter -- I was
lucky enough to be able to purchase one thru her office where she tested
blood sugars ----sooo  I threw away test tape early in my diabetes career
used 4 time a day blood testing. ( I now test more often) ---Yes my friend
died from Cancer in her early 80's--- Her sister died in her early forties
because she never watched her diet or her sugar level-----Blame that on
    I think I have had it with trying to write a word of encougement -- The
negatives seem to crawl out from everywhere.  I WILL NEVER BE CONVINCED THAT
  Please remove me from the IP list --thanks