Re: [IP] Re: long-termers who have avoided complications-REMOVAL

In a message dated 05/22/2002 7:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subj:[IP] Re: long-termers who have avoided complications
> Date:05/22/2002 7:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>
> Sent from the Internet
> > thanks for sharing!  It really helps this pumpmama to hear from longtime
> > DMers who have had success in avoiding complications.  I know know how
> > important control is in the equation and also know that genetics are part
> of
> > it all, too . . . but it helps to know that if you are dilligent about
> > control and lucky enough to get good genes, complications aren't
> inevitable!
> >
> > Lyndy
> > Pumpmama to Katie
> > - ----------------------------------------------------------
> Please keep in mind, all the long-termers had the same *tools* *back then*
> as we all did: pee tests (and individuals' thresholds varied) and one shot
> day mostly of mixed insulins. Is it really *their* success in avoiding
> complications?  I wonder? A lab test for BG once every 1- 3 months was
> hardly accurate determination. There was no ketone testing, no A1c's, no
> nothing. If we had a hypo, was it our bodies fooling us into a false low or
> a *real* low? Even today I hear from people who have been living in the
> upper 200s-400s regularly and if they hit a 150 they get shaky and have to
> have carbs. Striving was possible back then, but there was no clue as to if
> it was working. Some of this *is* the luck of the gene pool. If we don't
> die
> from complications, surprise! it will be from something else. ;)
> Oh, - and to the person who asked if it was inevitable we die from DM
> complications? No. We could get hit by a truck or burned in a fire or get
> cancer which is completely unrelated to DM. There are cancer survivors,
> too,
> but they will die of something - eventually. One hundred years from now it
> won't make much difference. YMMV (~_^)

     I guess some people just are unable to accept the fact that good control
helps control complications -- also they find it hard to accept responses
other than what  they they themselves write. If being negative is part of
their life I feel sorry for them as well as the person that was so
discouraged being diabetic and getting negative responses from a select few.
A bit more history on my long term diabetes-- A friend who was diabetic
longer than any other person in my state used test tape and a meter -- I was
lucky enough to be able to purchase one thru her office where she tested
blood sugars ----sooo  I threw away test tape early in my diabetes career and
used 4 time a day blood testing. ( I now test more often) ---Yes my friend
died from Cancer in her early 80's--- Her sister died in her early forties
because she never watched her diet or her sugar level-----Blame that on
    I think I have had it with trying to write a word of encougement -- The
negatives seem to crawl out from everywhere.  I WILL NEVER BE CONVINCED THAT
  Please remove me from the IP list --thanks