Re: [IP] Glucophage-Type1&2 12 yr. old

In a message dated 5/24/2002 6:44:03 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> She was not diabetic, but said her 12 yr. old daughter had
>  been diagnosed with type 1 & type 2 diabetes. I asked for an explaination
>  and she said girl was 1st on insulin and it wasn't working well at all so
>  then she was put on ultralente at nite, humalog with meals as well as
>  glucophage with each meal and now is doing fine.

I've never heard of being type 1 AND type 2 . . . but a mom on another list
I'm on has a teenage son who is type one and when those adolescent hormones
hit he became VERY insulin resistant and started piling on weight, so that
they added one of the drugs normally prescribed for type 2s to help with the
insulin resistance (I think she said he was taking like a 150 units a day or
more and having terrible control problems at that) . . . I suppose he could
have bee classified as type 1 & 2, but I honestly know very little about type
2 .  .  .

Pumpmama to Katie