Re: [IP] HUMAN Virus attack (not computer)

Hey, this happened to me b4.  there were 2 things: my pump was broke
w/out me knowing it, and my site cannula was suddenly too short(w/ no
weight gain).

We called minimed to make sure it wasn't the pump. They ran some tests,
my "no delivery" alarm wasn't working, so I had no idea of when I was and
when I wasn't getting insulin. Sometimes I got some, sometimes Ididn't.

Did ya call your manufacturer? Its a last chance thing, but that might be
it. Sometimes viruses do that too, but its worth it to check. I felt that
way just cuz I had been that high for that long.

Good luck!

email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] HUMAN Virus attack (not computer)
>Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 02:17:00 EDT > >PK folks, I need to hear from
you. Ever since this past tuesday Joshua (age >10.5, DMer almost 5yrs
IPer 2.5) has been fighting some weird virus. Not >bacterial because
nothing shows up in the labs. It started with LARGE LTs >tuesday mor ing
and BG in 500s. Site, change, new cartridge with new insulin >done.
Injection given on top of that. Went UP to HI (over 600) Another
>injection. LOTS of fluids. He is sicker than snot but no vomiting. After
7 >hours we get BGs down into 300s and that is the lowest (until once
today he >got to 153 only to bounce right back to 487) So 4 days now of
BGs running >between 300-600, one day of large KTs, once day of MOD kts,
a couple times of >trace and now NO KTs. And what is REAL weird is that
he has all of his >normal symptoms of being VERY low...blurred vision,
very weak, shakey....... >All labs came back normal, except some KTs in
urine we didn't have here at >home. Got rid of those quickly yesterday
but he was so weak he couldn't even >walk on his own power. He slept all
day and then konked out early and slept >all night. MD/Peds and Endo
don't have a clue except some viral thing. We >are being VERY aggressive
with temp increase, increase CI ratio and high >bolus ratios. > >Has
anyone ever had something like this or something similar? If so how long
>did it last? I'm getting worried about the sustained highs and what they
are >doing to his little body. One minute he feels pretty good and the
next >minute he is crap!!! Any suggestions would be nice. And the support
I know >I will get will be GREATLY appreciated! That is what I LOVE about
you >guys!!! > >Thanks! > >Sylvia >a very tired and worried mom to Joshua